Irene Coates


American Guide, (Negro Writers' Unit)

Viola B. Muse, Field Worker

Jacksonville, Florida

December 16, 1936


Immediately after slavery in the United States, the southern white

people found themselves without servants. Women who were accustomed to

having a nurse, maid, cook and laundress found themselves without

sufficient money to pay wages to all these. There was a great amount of

work to be done and the great problem confronting married women who had

not been taught to work and who thought it beneath their standing to

soil their hands, found it very difficult.

There were on the other hand many Negro women who needed work and young

girls who needed guidance and training.

The home and guidance of the aristocratic white people offered the best

opportunity for the dependent un-schooled freed women; and it was in

this kind of home that the ex-slave child of this story was reared.

Irene Coates of 2015 Windle Street, Jacksonville, Florida, was born in

Georgia about 1859. She was close to six years of age when freedom was


She was one among the many Negro children who had the advantage of

living under the direct supervision of kind whites and receiving the

care which could only be excelled by an educated mother.

Jimmie and Lou Bedell were the names of the man and wife who saw the

need of having a Negro girl come into their home as one in the family

and at the same time be assured of a good and efficient servant in years

to come.

When Irene was old enough, she became the nurse of the Bedell baby and

when the family left Savannah, Georgia to come to Jacksonville, they

brought Irene with them.

Although Irene was just about six years old when the Civil War ended,

she has vivid recollection of happenings during slavery. Some of the

incidents which happened were told her by her slave associates after

slavery ended and some of them she remembers herself.

Two incidents which she considers caused respect for slaves by their

masters and finally the Emancipation by Abraham Lincoln she tells in

this order.

The first event tells of a young, strong healthy Negro woman who

knew her work and did it well. "She would grab up two bags of

guana (fertilizer) and tote 'em at one time," said Irene, and was never

found shirking her work. The overseer on the plantation, was very hard

on the slaves and practiced striking them across the back with a whip

when he wanted to spur them on to do more work.

Irene says, one day a crowd of women were hoeing in the field and the

overseer rode along and struck one of the women across the back with the

whip, and the one nearest her spoke and said that if he ever struck her

like that, it would be the day he or she would die. The overseer heard

the remark and the first opportunity he got, he rode by the woman and

struck her with the whip and started to ride on. The woman was hoeing at

the time, she whirled around, struck the overseer on his head with the

hoe, knocking him from his horse, she then pounced upon him and chopped

his head off. She went mad for a few seconds and proceeded to chop and

mutilate his body; that done to her satisfaction, she then killed his

horse. She then calmly went to tell the master of the murder, saying

"I've done killed de overseer," the master replied--"Do you mean to say

you've killed the overseer?" she answered yes, and that she had killed

the horse also. Without hesitating, the master pointing to one of his

small cabins on the plantation said--"You see that house over there?"

she answered yes--at the same time looking--"Well" said he, "take all

your belongings and move into that house and you are free from this day

and if the mistress wants you to do anything for her, do it if you want

to." Irene related with much warmth the effect that incident had upon

the future treatment of the slaves.

The other incident occured in Virginia. It was upon an occasion when

Mrs. Abraham Lincoln was visiting in Richmond. A woman slaveowner had

one of her slaves whipped in the presence of Mrs. Lincoln. It was

easily noticed that the woman was an expectant mother. Mrs. Lincoln was

horrified at the situation and expressed herself as being so, saying

that she was going to tell the President as soon as she returned to the

White House. Whether this incident had any bearing upon Mr. Lincoln's

actions or not, those slaves who were present and Irene says that they

all believed it to be the beginning of the President's activities to end


Besides these incidents, Irene remembers that women who were not strong

and robust were given such work as sewing, weaving and minding babies.

The cloth from which the Sunday clothes of the slaves was made was

called ausenburg and the slave women were very proud of this. The

older women were required to do most of the weaving of cloth and making

shirts for the male slaves.

When an old woman who had been sick, regained her strength, she was sent

to the fields the same as the younger ones. The ones who could cook and

tickle the palates of her mistress and master were highly prized and

were seldon if ever offered for sale at the auction block.

The slaves were given fat meat and bread made of husk of corn and wheat.

This caused them to steal food and when caught they were severely


Irene recalls the practice of blowing a horn whenever a sudden rain

came. The overseer had a certain Negro to blow three times and if

shelter could be found, the slaves were expected to seek it until the

rain ceased.

The master had sheds built at intervals on the plantation. These

accomodated a goodly number; if no shed was available the slaves stood

under trees. If neither was handy and the slaves got wet, they could not

go to the cabins to change clothes for fear of losing time from work.

This was often the case; she says that slaves were more neglected than

the cattle.

Another custom which impressed the child-mind of Irene was the tieing of

slaves by their thumbs to a tree limb and whipping them. Women and young

girls were treated the same as were men.

After the Bedells took Irene to live in their home they traveled a deal.

After bringing her to Jacksonville, when Jacksonville was only a small

port, they then went to Camden County, Georgia.

Irene married while in Georgia and came back to Jacksonville with her

husband Charles, the year of the earthquake at Charleston, South

Carolina, about 1888.

Irene and Charles Coates have lived in Jacksonville since that time. She

relates many tales of happenings during the time that this city grew

from a town of about four acres to its present status.

Irene is the mother of five children. She has nine grandchildren and

eight great-grandchildren. Her health is fair, but her eyesight is poor.

It is her delight to entertain visitors and is conversant upon matters

pertaining to slavery and reconstruction days.


1. Irene Coates, 2015 Windle Street, Jacksonville, Florida

Iran Nelson Irene Robertson facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail